Wednesday, November 20, 2013

DIY Bathroom Cleaners

In a previous post, we talked about how the chemicals in most commercially available bathroom cleaners. On top of which, the bathroom is generally the most poorly ventilated room in the house. So it  makes sense that when looking to transition to green cleansers, the bathroom is a good place to start.

While searching for recipes for do-it-yourself bathroom cleaners, I quickly became overwhelmed by the number of recipes out there! I found at least 20 different recipes for "DIY Bathroom Cleaners" on Pinterest alone! It's enough to make you run back to the store for commercial cleaners.

But I didn't.

I made myself a cup of tea and calmed the heck down.

Then I looked more closely at the recipes.

In general, the recipes contain the same ingredients, just in different ratios. So instead of throwing in the towel, I decided to pick a couple and experiment.

My goal for December is to experiment with as many DIY recipes as possible and pick my favorites by the new year.

I'm starting with these:

DIY Bathroom Cleaners

1) The Basic:
      1/2 cup vinegar
      1/4 cup baking soda
      8 cups water
      Combine in a spray bottle for all-purpose bathroom cleaner.

2) The Soapy:
      2 tablespoons baking soda
      1/2 tablespoon all-natural dish soap
      8 cups water
      Combine in spray bottle for all purpose bathroom cleaner.

3) Everything but the Bathroom Sink:
     3/4 cup baking soda
     1/4 cup lemon juice
     3 tablespoons salt
     3 tablespoons all natural dish soap
     1/2 cup white vinegar
      Mix ingredients in bowl to form paste. Use sponge or scrubber to apply to tub, shower, and sink. Rinse with water and wet rag. 

We'll see how it goes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment