Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Kale and Apples with Mustard

Tonight, I decided to actually use some of the recipes I've been collecting on Pinterest, instead of just making great big pretty boards to look at! I picked up a big bunch of good looking kale at the market this week and wanted to make something with it.

I like kale. I like spinach better, but there isn't a vegetable bidding war for my taste buds, now, is there? There's room for both. Spinach is sweet; it satisfies my gigantic sweet tooth like other sweet veggies-- carrots, sweet potatoes, squash. Kale has a more bitter flavor, which is nice, too, but doesn't have the same appeal to my sweet sensitivities.

This recipe doesn't run from the bitterness. It celebrates it, as a matter of fact. And paired with the crisp, tart flavor of granny smith apples, it makes a nice combo.

KALE WITH APPLES AND MUSTARD

1) Coarsely chop 1and a half pounds of kale , removing ribs.



2) Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and cook until bright green, about 1-2 minutes tossing occasionally.



3) Add 2/3 cup water, cover,  and cook for 3 more minutes.

4) Stir in 2 sliced granny smith apples. Cover and cook until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.



5) In small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 4 teaspoons brown mustard,

2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1 pinch salt.


6) Add the mustard mixture to the kale, turn heat up to high, and boil for 3-4 minutes uncovered.



 The picture really doesn't do it justice, but it was quite flavorful. If I was going to make it again (and I probably will!) I'd add the apples in later, to keep them a little more crisp. They were a bit too mushy for me, but still tasted good!

No comments:

Post a Comment